Sunday, January 17, 2010

Artfest Trades



The first time at I attended Artfest was because a friend cajoled me into it, even though I was sure that my puny art skills would be the subject of more than a few chuckles. I am glad she pushed me to go. It was all pretty overwhelming the first time with choosing classes when I had no idea what I was getting myself into, planning travel, accommodations, etc. But finally, I had everything in place.

Then, I learned about TRADES. Participants are encouraged (totally by choice) to bring small art trinkets to exchange---little handmade art charms, ATCs, small baggies of art supplies for collage, etc. It can be just about anything. I was scared spitless to make trade items, mostly because I was sure that no one would want to trade with my rinky dink attempts. On the advice of a good friend, I joined the yahoo chat site for Artfest, and that is where I met Joan from N. Idaho. She patiently emailed me with ideas, gentle suggestions, and descriptions of what she'd seen at Artfest in the past. On a trip to see my grandkids, Joan met up with me so that I could see some items from previous years. AND...when I got to Artfest, she not only looked me up, but she gave me a chain to attach traded charms. That's the kind of wonderful, caring people that willingly exchanged trades with me at Artfest, and were kind enough to wait to chuckle until later. {grin}

5 comments:

  1. First time attending Artfest...I'm sure it will be a good time for all! Now just to find the time to make a bunch of goodies for trades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,I LOVE your necklaces! I have been to Artfest the last two years, also, but I still haven't gotten around to doing anything like this with the trades I collected. Great idea! Also, welcome to the blogging world. Like you, I was reluctant to start, but now, 200 posts later... You'll love it!
    : ) lulu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be my first time at the Art Fest. I can't wait! Thank you for sharing the photos. It helps to see a visual of what people are talking about. Do you know where your friend got the chain for the necklace? (...Or where I might purchase one?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda, I guess it's my turn to be scared spitless. I have nothing to offer in terms of trades. Check out my blog and tell me if these little needle felted wool balls are good enough, would you? i'm thinking about putting a loop of ribbon on them to make them hanging ornaments. Or should I abandon the idea and go with yummy homemade almond roca? HelP!?!?!!!

    ReplyDelete